Freelance work has its perks and securing
However, websites offering freelance work come at varying degrees of reach, work types and payment terms. If you’re not careful, you can end up wasting time, effort and, worse, money on platforms with questionable standing.
Freelancing work is rife with benefits, among them flexible working hours and remote work. These and more make freelance work an attractive option for many professionals. Some even see freelancing as the future. In fact, according to the 2018 Freelancing America Report, 56.7% of America’s workforce is made up of home-based freelancers. These breed of professionals also see more career opportunities, with 42% saying it gives them the flexibility they need. However, the freelancing world is also littered with problems that if left unchecked could put such professionals at a disadvantage.
A study by PayPal has revealed that 58% of freelancers in Southeast Asia were not paid for their work at one time or another. These workers have also been found to suffer from late or lack of payments and ridiculously low offers. This has been attributed to many businesses’ perception of freelancers, often construing that they are giving the latter a favor by enlisting their services.
In any case, getting off on the right footing means using any or some of these top freelance websites.
Freelance service marketplace and crowdsourcing platform Freelancer.com was built to link buyers and sellers in a single location. It is popular among freelancers as it allows them to market their services easily, supporting professionals, creatives and technicals. If you are a freelancer, you can use the platform to bid on projects such as data entry, software development, writing, marketing, accounting and engineering, to name a few. Freelancer pricing plans are quite flexible with the system being offered in monthly and annual subscription packages.
What is unique about Freelancer.com?
- Safe and Secure Payments. This platform uses a milestone payment system that offers protection to all users of
the site. It guarantees freelancers that the payment for their work is availableand ready for release.
- Easy Progress Monitoring. The system helps
you maintainwork transparency with your clients by monitoring time spent on tasks, sharing data and letting them check on project progress. You can likewiseconnect to your clients as the platform comes with live chat functionality. You can likewise use this feature to update employers on projectstatus.
- Fuss-Free Job Hunting Solutions. Using Freelancer.com, you can upload your skills profile for
prospective employersto see. This way, buyers and sellers are effectively connected. Companies can choose from a myriad of sellers by allowing themto peruse their profiles and find the right individual for the rightjob. It likewise allows you to bid on the best projects quickly andeasily.
Fiverr leads our 20 best freelance websites list. It is a freelance service marketplace designed to help individuals get started with
Just about anybody can market their services through the platform as it does not require extensive technical skills. You can be a creative or technical professional and still be able to sell over Fiverr, which also gives you that needed exposure to boost your career. What’s even better is that the service sets you up in such a way that you actually make money for doing what you love most. You can also rest assured that your personal data are protected as the website never shares seller information to any other party.
Freelance platform 99Designs is popular for the flexibility and global reach that it provides to professionals. If you are a design professional with good skills, then the platform is the right place for you. It will help you find the right project as the system is backed by an extensive business community motivated by growth. 99Designs has four distinct locations in four continents worldwide.
What is unique about 99Designs?
- Comprehensive Resource Centers. The website comes with a variety of resource centres that are very useful both to freelance designers and entrepreneurs. They provide tips on how to
get themost out of designers while advising buyers on how to go about startinga design context. Creative professionals also get to improve theirskills using the system’s tutorials, toolkits and interviews with knowndesigners.
- Partner Services and Affiliates. 99Designs’ affiliates and partners have helped by providing discounts. They
also offerassistance in website design, education and design.
A cloud-deployed global freelance platform, Upwork boasts of the largest job finders pool to date. It is the ideal place where freelancers can market their services, offering them highly-competitive rates. Effectively linking sellers to buyers, the website lets you secure the best deals while making sure that you work only for legitimate employers. You can sign up for the service for free, allowing you to test the solution before making a commitment.
What is unique about Upwork?
- Easy Billing. You can send billings to employers that reflect hours worked for hours-based contracts. To give your clients a bigger picture of what they owe you, the platform comes with a Work Diary, which is also useful for buyers as they are assured of accurate billing. It helps verify work hours rendered and track billable time.
- In-App Communication Channels. Coordinating work among workers–be it part-time or full-time is important to ensure the productivity of your operations. Communicate with your talents on-the-go using the in-app messaging tool of Upwork. Through this feature, you can provide feedback via text or video as well as share files with your freelancers. This feature promotes collaboration between employers and freelancers.
- Easy and Secure Payments. Freelancers get to receive payment as soon as a job is completed. This is because the system allows buyers to prefund their accounts for faster payments. This is apart from the system’s support of credit card payments and electronic payment gateways. You are assured that you get what you are owed on time.
Freelance service marketplace PeoplePerHour allows professionals around the world to find work suited to their qualifications. It optimizes the way sellers connect with businesses while equipping them with a variety of tools that freelancing tasks require. It showcases numerous features that include proposal viewing, in-app messaging, account management and invoicing. PeoplePerHour pricing plans come in different plans such as monthly, one-time and quote-based payments and can suit individual freelancers.
What is unique about PeoplePerHour?
- Financial Protection. With PeoplePerHour, you do not have to worry about not getting paid on time as the platform requires buyers to make down payments before you start working on a project. This also protects buyers against the possibility of a freelancer not being able to meet job specifications.
- Regional recruitment. If you are a freelancer looking to work more comfortably, then PeoplePerHour is the right service for you. It allows you to look for buyers within your region, while facilitating better understanding between buyers and sellers.